HTML tutorial

08:34
0


1. PANGLOSSIAN (ADJECTIVE): optimistic



Synonyms: encouraged, confident
Antonyms: pessimistic, unassured
Example Sentence:
When my master adopted the Panglossian view of the universe I used no arguments that might cloud his serenity.
2. MORDANT (ADJECTIVE): sarcastic
Synonyms: caustic, sardonic Antonyms: calm, pleasant
Example Sentence:
I like that the emotional lives of women are tinged with a kind of mordant humor for the most part.
3. AMPLY (ADVERB): fully, sufficiently
Synonyms: adequately, extensively Antonyms: illiberal, insufficiently
Example Sentence:
I declined it, because I felt that I had been amply paid by the pleasure which I had derived from the journey.
4. PAT (ADJECTIVE): relevant, suitable
Synonyms: apposite, fitting Antonyms: irrelevant, wrong
Example Sentence:
Recent events give us examples of outcomes likely to be pat in the future.
5. EMEND (VERB): correct
Synonyms: alter, improve Antonyms: worsen, ruin
Example Sentence:
Some critical scholar of eminence should be called upon to emend or explain this mysterious passage.
6. PLUMB (VERB): probe, go into
Synonyms: penetrate, unravel Antonyms: misunderstand, estimate
Example Sentence:
She believes her illness has bestowed on her a single-mindedness that causes her to plumb the same waters again and again.
7. EVISCERATE (VERB): disembowel
Synonyms: devitalize, weaken Antonyms: strengthen, energize
Example Sentence:
Scientists are figuring out how to locate and eviscerate the worst moments of your life.
8. TICKLISH (ADJECTIVE): difficult, tricky
Synonyms: awkward, precarious Antonyms: easy, straightforward
Example Sentence:
There are ticklish times coming, be certain of that, and my experience may be of great service to you.
9. FAWNING (ADJECTIVE): deferential, groveling
Synonyms: flattering, bowing Antonyms: proud, unfriendly
Example Sentence:
His anger changed to meekness, and his words were mild and fawning.
10. SCRUPLE (NOUN): misgiving, doubt
Synonyms: caution, censor Antonyms: ease, unconcern
Example Sentence:
My principles were true; my motives were pure: why should I scruple to avow my principles and vindicate my actions?

0 comments:

Post a Comment

[img]https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-aFPBR4LADew/V85_aRWKXkI/AAAAAAAAHAw/O_N9dmf5tMQu0kSfbC3NU2yCzkLVQV7eACLcB/s320/share.png[/img]